Blues Harmonica Improv
Beginners: Almost Blues Scale
Intermediate Level Riffs
65 'Jam-To' MIDI Files
- It's easier than it looks- Improv and "jamming" are based on using blues harmonica riffs and scales that you already know which have been ingrained through repetition and muscle memory. The real "improv" of it is that you can change the order and amount of repetition of your memorized patterns and combine them in different ways. The more you do it, the better you get, and more fun it becomes.
- "Blues Harmonica Improv", what about other styles of music?- We call this section Basic Blues Harmonica Improv, but the information here applies to most types of popular music you would like to jam to. Because blues is a simple, consistant form of music, it is a great place to begin your improv regardless of which musical styles you to play.
- Folk, rock, country, reggae, hip-hop, etc.- The average person that picks up harmonica does so because of an interest in blues and blues harmonica, but the imformation in this section will allow you to jam to all sorts of music like folk, rock, country, reggae, dance, hip-hop, heavy metal, grunge, and so forth.
- Playing in the 2nd Position- The different approaches to improv here are all done in the 2nd Position. For more information on 2nd Position and others, visit the General Overview section.
- "Jam-To" Blues MIDI File- If you would like a quick, easy background song to begin jamming to, you can use the "Jam-To" MIDI File in "G" to try out the different riffs and ideas outlined here. Additional MIDI files are also available in many keys and styles in our Members Area.
- Additional Improv theory and related concepts- Our Theory section has additional information about jamming, plus explanations of music and harmonica theory. It includes: an Interactive Harmonica Key/Positions Table, info on "How to Key a Song", tips on "Solo Playing vs. Group Playing", "8 Different Approaches to Soloing", "Ways to Play in Minor Keys", and more.
Click here to get started with the "Blues Harmonica Riffs" approach to jamming.