Re: Rainbow Harmonica

[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Posted by Kathy on June 12, 2001 at 04:04:53:

In Reply to: Rainbow Harmonica posted by Marc on June 11, 2001 at 23:02:25:

: What are you planning to use it for?

homeschool music class for a soon to be 13 year old. He has been using the ocarina and completing a workbook on reading music, but there is little material to connect and help bridge the two things he is learning.

I would like to switch him over to the harmonica for formal class, and he can still play the ocarina on his own time if he pleases. I have very little musical backround and am just not capable of putting something together on my own for the ocarina.

I have been learning the harmonica and trying to apply some of what I am learning by skimming my son's workbook. I'm looking for books that teach reading music for the harmonica that are EASY to understand. The Rainbow Harmonica looks like it will be easy to use, but I am afraid the plastic harmonica itself will be too difficult to play. I started out with a cheap harmonica and it was SO much more difficult to play than a more expensive one.

Where the children you taught able to get a decent sound out of the Rainbow Harmonica?

I find that the lower and higher notes on the 10 hole are difficult tp play. Are all the notes on the 4 hole easy to play.

I like the fact that the Rainbow Harmonica sticks to one octave for now. I haven't even figured out what bending is, never mind do it correctly.

My main goal at this point is teaching him (and myself) to read music and be able to apply it to a variety of small, inexpensive instruments. I'm more interested in teaching the major concepts of music, rather than perfecting the playing of a certain instrument.

Thank you for answering my post.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[an error occurred while processing this directive]