Re: Who Reads Music

[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Posted by SlipKid on November 22, 2002 at 10:44:04:

In Reply to: Who Reads Music posted by Patrick J. McKenna on November 21, 2002 at 20:55:02:

Well, 'bout 4 months ago a standard music sheet looked like Egyptian hyroglyphs to me, as they did my whole life. Once I submerged myself in blues and the harp, I felt I could progress only so far without some basic knowledge of music theory. Since then my neighbor has been kind enough to tutor me in music theory and now I'm able to pick up a music sheet and hit the notes on my diatonics to put together a song. (That's another neccesity too, to know the NOTE layout of your harps. Rather than a 3blow or 4draw on a C, know that it's a Gnote and a Dnote. Reading from a music sheet will realy sharpen this skill) I'm working on timing right now. The amazing thing is that music notation is such a precise and exact language that once you learn how to read, you can pretty much learn and play any song without ever hearing it first. Your kinda the creator in a sense, it's a great thrill that makes all the work worth while.

Great post Pat, thanx.
Kid

: Hey Guys and Gals...

: I'm curious...How many of you read standard music?

: I'd also be interested in comments.

: Wishing you success in your endeavors,

: Patrick

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[an error occurred while processing this directive]