Re: 12 hole Marine Band

[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Posted by John S on October 12, 2002 at 19:56:45:

In Reply to: 12 hole Marine Band posted by Scott on October 12, 2002 at 07:09:23:

The description from the store on this site--

Hohner #364 12-hole Marine Band (octave low)- This is not your standard Marine Band harmonica. It is a complete octave lower than the normal 10-hole variety. Although it comes in different keys, stick with the key of "C" (i.e. the key of "G" model is not an octave lower than a standard "G" diatonic). This harmonica was used on occasion by Sonny Boy Williamson II on tunes like "Bye Bye Bird" and others. We like it a lot for practicing scales and bending. It's like jogging with ankle weights on, it really gets your power and endurance in shape. It also makes a great rhythm instrument when jamming with another player using a standard key of "C" harmonica. The 14-hole #365 is also available, but you will most likely never miss the last two holes. Save the $5.

: I bought a 12 hole Marine Band (key of G) because I was reading about it being "an octave lower" on the low end. My understanding was that it would be lower in pitch and that the two extra holes would be on the low end - adding new possiblities and notes to the low end.

: well I've got it now and I can not tell one lick of difference between it and my other G harps - a Blues Harp and a Golden Melody. As far as I can tell - the extra notes are on the high end. The low end sounds exactly the same.

: Am I nuts? was I expecting the wrong thing? or did I just get a bum harp? I was thinking of getting a 14 hole but don't wanna make the same mistake twice.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

[an error occurred while processing this directive]