Posted by Mark on April 10, 2002 at 01:57:29:
In Reply to: Question on the metal on the harmonica posted by melani on April 02, 2002 at 09:38:49:
Nickel is toxic and has been banned in Europe from being used in watches and jewelery. It is likely to be banned at some point in the US too. I see absolutley no reason why manufacturers choose to nickel coat,when silver plate or stainless steel, is really not very expensive. I personally would rather pay a few pounds/dollars more for a harp if it is not going to slowly poison me. Having said that , providing the coating doesn't come off (i.e if its scratched), the actual nickel you will absorb is minimal.
As has been suggested - You could try coating the nickel with clear tape.
Post a Followup