Re: bending - airflow up or down?

[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Posted by jazzharp on November 09, 2001 at 08:40:35:

In Reply to: bending - airflow up or down? posted by jim on September 29, 2001 at 02:50:55:

: Hi, I'm a newbie and I've only being playing for about a month or so, but:

: I have a question about bending draw notes that has probably been asked before, but hey. As far as I can gather from the instructions on this site to bend a draw note you draw the breath in at an angle to the reeds UPWARDS, i.e. to the top of your mouth/palate. However, I got hold of a book called Bluesharp by Tony Glover, and he says to lowere your jaw and tongue and draw the air in at an angle DOWN towards the bottom of your mouth.

: Both are shifting the airflow i.e. drawing air at an angle to the reed, and both seem to work as far as I can hear (although I'm not that good at bending yet anyway, but are different in the way youy play it. But is there a right and a wrong way here? Does one of these techniques give you bigger bend overall (i.e. do a complete 1.5 step bend on the 3 hole)?

: Thanks for any help

I've been teaching for 30 years, and most books suck. Check out my follow up to "bending" on a prior post. Good luck.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[an error occurred while processing this directive]