Re: Tongue Blocking vs. the pursed lip method...?

[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Posted by randy on April 10, 2001 at 07:10:44:

In Reply to: Tongue Blocking vs. the pursed lip method...? posted by Deltablues on April 09, 2001 at 13:36:38:

I guess yo have to know what you're listening for in recorded music. Two of my favorites are Jerry Portnoy (in the Muddy Waters recordings) and Mark Hummel. Portnoy refers to the method as tongue slapping because you sort of slap your tongue back and forth to get a percussive beat/back beat to your melody notes. You can also add a syllable or 2 or 3 or however many you want to get even more beats/notes in there. For example, you can play 1234, slap 123 leave 4 open then say tuh/duh/kuh in the 1234 open (or just 123 or just 12, etc). Make stuff up.
For me it's easier to do this while blowing but both inhale and exhale are equally important. Both Hummel and Portnoy really get cookin'. It's analogous to throwing in some strummed chords while playing a lead on guitar. It really makes for a full sound.
For me, it's hard to get good consistent bends while tongue blocking (but then I don't practice much anymore). It's also hard to say those extra syllable while drawing as opposed to blowing. I would imagine a lot of pro's use both. My advise would be to learn as many techniques as you can.

: I understand from reading the faq that the author of this website feels tongue blocking is the only way to go because of the additional effects which can be achieved with it, as well as a fuller sound.

: Does anyone have examples of professionally recorded musicians which use each method? Or does "everyone" use tongue blocking?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[an error occurred while processing this directive]