Re: Soaking harp in water to improve the bend

[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Posted by IronMan Mike Curtis on January 24, 2001 at 04:26:38:

In Reply to: Re: Soaking harp in water to improve the bend posted by Stan Besaw on January 23, 2001 at 00:55:52:

I'm Mike Curtis, and new to the meighborhood, although I've been playing harmonica about 50 years, 38 years professionally. Currently I work a lot solo, as a one man band (organ bass pedals, guitar, and racked C diatonic, which I play chromatically, in all keys), but I work with bands and do sessions.

Although I've played just about every diatonic on the market, I play C major diatonic Oskars exclusively these days.

Soaking or briefly wetting works about the same on new harps. It livens them up considerably, and they play much nicer.

Yes, on plastic bodies.

I've heard the "wood comb air tight" theory, and that's not at all what I experience. I've tried sealing the reed plate/comb junctions with micropore, etc., and while it helps a LITTLE, the FEEL is NOT the same. Not even close.

I highly recommend soaking or wetting your harps, with this one caveat - the more time they spend in water or wet, the less time they last. But if longevity is a non issue (and performance is a high priority), dunk your harps in a glass of water before playing, and they'll play better.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[an error occurred while processing this directive]