What kind of Harp to buy?

[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Posted by Bluzharper on January 06, 2001 at 21:12:35:

First off these are just opinions based on my experience. I started with a Hohner Bluesband, cost $4. This is a good practice harp, and its in tune and cheap. I would not recommend a Marine Band as a first harp because they are not as air tight as a plastic body harp and the wood body tends to swell and is somewhat sharp. A Lee Oscar is a great harp but you will notice compared to a Hohner, the holes are somewhat closer together, making it slightly harder to hit single notes when first learning to play, this will not be an issue after you get it together. I have had several Hohner American Ace harps, $4 same as the Bluesband just different coverplates. If money is not that much of an issue get a Special 20 Hohner, cost $15 to $25 depending on where you shop. This harp is good enough for John Popper, so what can I say. As far as keys go, C A or D .. dont start with a High G or Low F every dog in the hood will come running when you blow that High G.. Low Fs are just dull IMHO.. If they have a bellows in the music store, use it to check the reeds, remember you cant return a harp after you played it. Good Luck..

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[an error occurred while processing this directive]