Re: Bending

[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Posted by Shaggy on November 26, 2002 at 15:47:29:

In Reply to: Bending posted by Tony on November 25, 2002 at 19:51:35:

: I've looked at this web site and tried using its tips on how to bend notes, but I haven't gotten anywhere. Can anyone post a tip/idea to help me out?

Imagine there's a piece of string or thread attatched to the back of your tongue, deep down in your throat, while the other end is attatched to the reed in the hole you're trying to bend. Do whatever you can to bend that reed by tightening the string/thread. Tighten too much and you prevent the reed from vibrating. Tighten too little and you choke the sound without bending the note. It's a fine ballance that has to be developed. Take your time. Keep trying until you get it right. Then keep trying until you get it right every time.

One more thing. Different harps and even different holes on the same harp have to be tightened by a different amount. When you've got one hole down pat, you have to find the "sweet spot" for all the other holes. The most difficult one is hole 3, which has three possible notes achieved by bending. This takes much control and concentration. More often than not, you'll hit in between notes. But keep practicing.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[an error occurred while processing this directive]