Re: spit of a problem

[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Posted by Patrick J. McKenna on November 16, 2002 at 21:49:28:

In Reply to: spit of a problem posted by Nick on November 16, 2002 at 06:55:44:

: Hi guys
: When I play I like to use both tongue block and puckering,however unless I dry my tongue off with a hairdryer prior to playing, it does seem to leave saliva on the comb which I then blow into the hole.This builds up and eventually blocks the hole. I know you can tap it out but what if the hole becomes blocked while playing a tune for friends(like it did for me)most embarassing. I've watched professional players on stage and they never have this problem,or if they do they disguise it well.
: Many thanx for all your advice
: Nick

Hey Nick,

You're not alone. My uneducated guess is that you really don't have a problem...or maybe you're just a little bit nervous when playing in front of others.

If you want to see a really disgusting practice, check out some brass players.

One band that I used to gig with (when I was a teenager) had a trumpet player. Once, while we were practicing at my parents' house, I caught him releasing the spit valve and...Well, you can probably figure out the rest of this story!

Seriously, do try to keep your harmonica as dry as possible. Don't play after eating and when you're done playing, tap out the saliva by hitting your harmonica in your hand. Don't strike a hard surface, such as a table top. That's almost as ill-advised as soaking your harmonicas.

One more piece of advice...Keep playing!

Wishing you success in your endeavors,

Patrick

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[an error occurred while processing this directive]