Re: Intermediate lessons

[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Posted by SlipKid on November 05, 2002 at 16:56:31:

In Reply to: Intermediate lessons posted by TPC on November 05, 2002 at 08:03:32:

No doubt the Bills recomendation of Portnoy's Masterclass will be of tremendouse help. It will surely take you to the next level of playing on your harp. However, Jerry himself says on disc one that the Masterclass lessons are not stock full of riffs and licks. It's primary focus is on technique and sound variations. Effects and how to approach them. It's up to you to put those together.

If your looking to add to your 'bag of tricks' TPC, with new riffs and such then your main focus should be on your last suggestion. But I hear what your saying, you need SOMETHING to practice, practice, practice. My advice, listen listen, listen. Purchase some of those CD's on the site or make your own from mp3's. Play along with the fella's, record yourself, listen to yourself and practice, practice practice. OR even better which is what I did, is pick up some Little Walter, Sonny Terry, Big Walter CD's from the site(get em used, cheaper and the quality is surprisingly good) AND pick up Tom Balls lick books. Tom is an amusing instructor and his books are layed out real simple. Fun to learn with it. That should expand your riff list a bit. But you mainly want to PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE.

: Hello friends,

: Any recommendations on a good intermediate level instructional book/CD to pick up on this site? I have gone through Blue Barry Faust CD with John Gindick, Which I found to be fantastic. My skill level is to the point where I can play up and down the blues scale pretty well, bend all the notes, trills, octaves, throat vibrato, do some improvision, and pick up basic blues solos that I hear and understand what they are playing, (what holes and such). I feel like I'm playing the same things over and over though and need to add to my bag of tricks. What's the next step besides practice, practice, practice.

: All the best, TPC

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

[an error occurred while processing this directive]