Re: is it possible to do classic songs on Lee Oskar Major Diatonic harmonica ?

[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Posted by Patrick J. McKenna on September 08, 2002 at 22:47:17:

In Reply to: is it possible to do classic songs on Lee Oskar Major Diatonic harmonica ? posted by RaXeL on September 07, 2002 at 20:11:27:

: hi everyone , i'm new to harmonica and i am wondering if i can play classic music on the Lee Oskar Major Diatonic harmonica ? tnx :)

Hi RaXeL,
To answer your question, the answer is YES.
We all know that you can make a lot of music with a diatonic harmonica, whether it's a Lee Oskar, a Hohner or any other name (including no-name brands). However, a diatonic harmonica provides a limited range, so picking the appropriate material is important. Ludwig van Beethoven's "Ode to Joy" (from the "9th Symphony") is one song that can be played.
Finding the right material and playing it right, are two reasons that I highly recommend learning to read standard music notation. Another reason is that if you can read, you won't have to rely on repetition and depending on your memory to play a piece. If you like to play melodies, I can guarantee that having the ability to read would be a very useful skill.
Of course, I also highly recommend learning to play by ear. It's also nice to be able to play without being a slave to sheet music. Meaning no disrespect to piano players, it seems that a lot of piano players can't play without sheet music, nor improvise (even to simplify a piece of music).
Keep your playing options open. Don't allow your playing to be pigeon-holed to one style of music or to one approach to playing.
Stay tuned to this site and keep us posted on your progress.
(Believe me, I initially intended to say little else than "Yes" to your inquiry. Sorry for digressing like this!)
But have fun!
Wishing you success in your endeavors,
Patrick

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[an error occurred while processing this directive]