Re: transposing

[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Posted by Patrick J. McKenna on October 13, 2002 at 09:57:41:

In Reply to: transposing posted by Bob Reynolds on October 12, 2002 at 16:31:55:

: is there a chart or something that I can use to change notes into harmonica tab?I can read notes(SLOWLY) and would like to transfer them to harmonica tab , as it might be faster than ear learning songs.

Hey Bob,

I take it you're in the learning stage, which puts you in the company of some of the worst as well as the greatest musicians.(Simply checking
out www.harmonicalessons.com, puts you in some great company!)

Being able to read standard music, whether it's slowly or as fast as skimming over the Sunday comics, gives you an incredible advantage over countless other players.

One valuable piece of advice is something that we've all been told many many many many times...and that is PRACTICE!!!

I used to wrestle with transposing music to other (usually from the less common and awkward keys the more user-friendly and easy-to-read keys). I've compiled conversion charts and as the methods to my madness grew more ingenius, I was further developing the skills of transposing with increasing ease, and before I realized it, those charts were no longer necessary.

One simple quick-fix solution could be to take the music sheet and mark beneath the notes, the numbers of which holes to blow or draw through. Also, use the appropriate symbols to indicate which to blow, draw, bend and any special effects (e.i., tremolo, shakes, etc.).

I have a hymnal, which is a goldmine for material. Personally I prefer to stick to the standard music notation, but sometimes that presents its unique challenges. I enter plenty of symbols and notes at the top of many of the pages, so that I would know how diatonic harmonica-friendly the piece is (one to three stars). I also print "duet" if it's written so that a duet would be practical. If it can played in different keys without switching harmonicas, that would also be noted.

Some great players, who don't use standard music, sometimes use charts, with little more than just the chord changes. Such charts are open to improvisition. To make sure that you don't forget to play the riffs that have made you a legend among your peers, you can make the appropriate notations on your charts (and don't mark up someone else's charts!).

The bottom line to this, what's most important, is to use whatever works for you.

Have fun!

Wishing you success in your endeavors,

Patrick

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[an error occurred while processing this directive]