Re: Soloing

[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Posted by Jeremy Steinberg on January 21, 2003 at 18:11:31:

In Reply to: Soloing posted by Fugz on January 21, 2003 at 16:59:33:

: I am getting to the point where I can play riffs to songs I like, bend, and use hand effects, but I don't know how to solo. When I try to free style it sound like a mess. Any suggestions?

Hello Fugz - Here's an idea: pick a diatonic in a lower pitched key, like G, A, Bb, or even C. Use the middle octave (the one in which you can actually play all 8 notes in the diatonic scale in that key without any bends at all), and work on a very simple, classic 12-bar blues progression. You are going to play in 1st position (straight harp), not 2nd position (cross harp). If you need to, pick a slow blues song in the same key to use as a model. Otherwise, just hum the blues progression in your mind, and repeat it on the harp. Do this just in the middle octave. Then, try to do it again, in the lower octave, where some bends are required. Practice and patience. Finally, try the same thing in the highest octave, where bends will again be required. The more you do this, the better feel you will get, and you will begin to hear - and want to play - embellishments as they occur to you. Good luck! Practice, patience, and persistence! Remember the 3 R's?! These are the 3 P's!

Regards, Jeremy c/o

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

[an error occurred while processing this directive]