Re: Is there any help for this beatless soul???

[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Posted by eddie on January 14, 2003 at 14:14:34:

In Reply to: Is there any help for this beatless soul??? posted by Dave on January 13, 2003 at 04:45:05:

: Apparently I don't have rhythm or much of an inner beat. Therefore I cant seem to hear when to come in with the harmonica with accompanyment. I would like to learn to hear the beat. Do you know of any web sites that will help??? Or am I a lost cause.

I've been a drummer for 36 years, and I'd like to share my experiences and opinions, for what they are worth...Slip Kid is absolutely right about relaxing and learning to just feel the beat. That is the simplest and most natural way to do it. However, my opinion is that it doesn't work that well for people who don't have a lot of natural rhythm, because I think that rhthym is a gift, and you can be born with a lot or a little, and nothing used to get me more crazy, as a young kid trying to learn to play the drums, than when I would turn on the TV and see some 5 year old who never took a lesson in his life who could play rings around me!

The good news is that you can develop whatever amount of natural rhthym you've got. If Slip Kid's suggestion doesn't work for you, then you can try practicing your counting. I took 2 years of drum lessons, and in my early days, I did a lot of counting, and I also did a lot of listening and practicing, and I mean A LOT!!! But after a while, I really did get into the feel of the music, because, as Slip Kid already said, Blues (and related musical styles) is all about feel...Hope this helps...Eddie.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[an error occurred while processing this directive]