Re: suzuki promaster

[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Posted by wendell on January 13, 2003 at 21:23:00:

In Reply to: Re: suzuki promaster posted by Jeremy Steinberg on January 13, 2003 at 09:03:58:

: : It's a beautiful instrument, but I just don't like it. Is it just me?

: : No, I received a Promaster in the mail last Tue and was not real impressed. It looks beautiful and feels heavy in the hand but I really did not like the way it played. The comb is recessed into the reedplates which I can't stand and the reeds are gapped so close if I play with any pressure at all it chokes up. I also found the reeds stiff and difficult to bend. I keep trying but can't seem to find anything better than my Lee Oskars.

: : Mark

: If the reeds are off-set by bigger gaps, basic bends are easier, but overblows and overdraws will be impossible. If the reed gaps are smaller, more control of embouchure, throat and lungs will be required to avoid 'choking', but the reeds will also allow for overblow techniques, etc.

: Every harp has its good - and bad - characteristics. Harp players get used to the 'feel' of particular diatonics, and commit to them out of comfort.

: I humbly suggest you vary use of harps - try LO's, MB's, Special 20's, Golden Melody's, Huang, Bushman, Suzuki Overdrives, Meisterklasse, Herings, Weltmeisters, etc. Even Johnson Blues Harps! They're very cheaply made, not particularly airtight (for a plastic comb!), and not particularly efficient to play. But they're good for scales and drills, and if you can play a JBH, you can play anything!

: You'll get a better sense of plastic combs vs pearwood (MB) vs aluminum (Meisterklasse). You'll get a better sense of factory offsets (standard gapping), dimensions, types of tuning, etc. Diversification yields more experience, deeper general 'feel', more expansive technique, and eventually, a willingness and curiosity about going underneath the coverplates, and experimenting with reeds, reed plates, gapping, etc. Of course, do this on older, broken harps before you go to new ones!

: Regards, Jeremy c/o JSteinberg@ucwphilly.rr.com

Thanks , Jeremy , if you have played a Suzuki Promaster please tell me what its strong points are. It does play better after I replaced the reeds with the unvalved type. It plays well when softly blown now and it is too pretty to discard.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[an error occurred while processing this directive]