Re: I cant play harmonica with sheet music without arrows

[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Posted by Patrick J. McKenna on January 12, 2003 at 23:07:32:

In Reply to: Re: I cant play harmonica with sheet music without arrows posted by JC on January 12, 2003 at 18:52:08:

: : : i dont know what to do how do i doi play it

: : Not to ask a stupid question, but can you read music? Basically you have to be able to match the key signature of the music with the appropriate harp and then match the notes to the hole/action on the harminca.

: : Basically you match it up like so... "Root" equals the note of the key signature. (Example is in C)

: : Key Signature C
: : C D E F G A B C

: : C - Harp:
: : 4B 4D 5B 5D 6B 6D 7D 8B

: : To play in a different key signature you will need a harp that matches, but the pattern on the harp will stay the same.

: : Key Signature G
: : G A B C D E F# G

: : G - Harp:
: : 4B 4D 5B 5D 6B 6D 7D 8B

: : I don't know if this helps or not.

: SORRY, I screwed up the Harp chart - te last one should be 7B not 8B.

Hey Guys,

For those who have a marginal ability to read standard music and would enjoy the luxery of being able to rapidly select the right material from sheet music, it's important to know the notes below the root of the main scale scale (hole #4). In this case, we will stick to the key of C.

: : : Key signature C

C D E G G B C D E F G A C B E D

: : : : : : : : : : : : : : :
1B 1D 2B 2D 3B 3D 4B 4D 5B 5D 6B 6D 7B 7D 8B 8D

Note that the F & A notes are missing in what could be the first octave, played on holes #1, 2, & 3.

Some songs can be effectively played (without bending notes) below the scale which starts at hole #4.

I didn't bother to complete this beyond holes# 8. JC gave a more than accurate explanation, felt that holes #1, 2, & 3 should've been covered.

Wishing you success in your endeavors,

Patrick

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[an error occurred while processing this directive]