Re: attn: Ken from Japan

[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Posted by Stan Besaw on October 31, 2000 at 13:45:01:

In Reply to: attn: Ken from Japan posted by Bill on October 30, 2000 at 23:46:46:

Bill-

What you say is true, there is no difference in tuning diatonic or chromatic reeds. File the base to lower the pitch, file the 'free' end to raise the pitch.

The one thing you didn't mention is that many times when a reed goes flat, it's because it has fatigued and may have a tiny crack in it. By attempting to tune up a 'cracked reed', it will only speed up it's demise.

Sad but true, the best time to tune reeds is when they are brand new (so the octaves and chords play in tune). After 3-6 months or longer of repeated play, if the reed takes a dip in pitch, it is most likely shot. It's worthwhile to try to tune it at that point, you may get lucky, but it will more than likely be the "straw that broke the 'thin little brass reed's back'".

Good luck,
Stan

: I took a look at Lee Oskar.com's site and found a reed problem chart on line with their harmonica repair kit info. File the base makes it flat and the free end sharp. I may be that your were filing the wrong reed.

: Take the covers off you chromatic, blow the note in question and look in a mirror to see which reed is vibrating or use the tip of you finger to find it. As each chamber has 4 reeds, this could be the problem.

: It may be that for some reason, chromatic's tune differently that diatonics! I put the problem on the message board below this. Sorry, lost your return email address :P
:
: Bill

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[an error occurred while processing this directive]