Re: Why john popper?

[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Posted by Bill on October 25, 2000 at 16:46:58:

In Reply to: Why john popper? posted by Big Red on October 23, 2000 at 17:00:51:

: I am no expert harp player,but i dont see why all this interest in learning his stuff .Im not saying he sucks but take the time and energy and study the masters,Sonny Terry,Sonny Boys I and II,Little Walter,Big Walter,Dr.Ross,Frank Frost,James Cotton,anda few others. Just my 2 cents worth. Im not trying to start a fight but if you havent heard of these harpers give em a listen and you will see what I mean.

: Big Red

It's always nice to hear something new on the harmonica. John Popper has made his mark! On the other hand learning the classics is essential. Sonny Terry, Little Walter, etc. I first heard Whammer Jammer just a few weeks ago and thought, no problem..... I'm still working on that 10th hole blow bend. I suppose many player are like me. I hear classic harmonica riffs and think "yea that's been done, standard 2nd position..." But when you attempt to emmulate a similar sound, you find you have a lot to learn! This is not to say that John Popper's stuff is easy, but I think it more a familiarity thing.

In conclusion, learn all you can and acchieve a ballanced eclectic blend -

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[an error occurred while processing this directive]