Re: 2nd postion: Is it mayor or minor?

[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Posted by Jezzmund on March 30, 2002 at 09:13:23:

In Reply to: 2nd postion: Is it mayor or minor? posted by Me on March 30, 2002 at 07:20:27:

: Let's take the case that we are playing on a C harp. Well I don't know, but I've been told, that if you were to play in 2nd position you will be playing in a mayor key(G mayor). Now, if you were to play in 3rd position who would be playing in D minor. If you were to play in 4th position you would play in A minor. I don't understand this: why should playing 2nd position be in a mayor key and playing in third be in a minor key? I don't know how well I've explained myself...

I'll take a crack at this one....
"Major" and "minor" are terms that refer to the feel of the music-- major is upbeat and bouncy, minor is plaintive and somber. The notes of each scale (key=scale) are different and give a different feel.
In your case, the G scale (notes used when playing in the key of G) will give a more lively sound than when playing the same harp using the D scale, which will sound more moody.
Remember that not all notes sound good together-- that is why we use scales. Scales are notes that work well together. If they sound happy together it's major; sad ones are minor. Consider the difference in sound between the Beatles "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" and "Yesterday" and you will have the idea.
Thanks for a great question!
Jezzmund

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[an error occurred while processing this directive]