Re: Good blues song to C-harp jam with for beginners...

[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Posted by Patrick J. McKenna on March 25, 2002 at 21:55:27:

In Reply to: Good blues song to C-harp jam with for beginners... posted by Erik W. on March 24, 2002 at 14:35:03:

: I am still a beginner on the Harp. I have recently spent some time jamming to the song "Spoonfull" by Dixon from his 1970 album. The harp-player on the album is Carey Bell. "Spoonfull" is slow and very easy keep up with as it is quite simple in structure. The Harp is mostly playing a simple riff with some simple but very cool sounding bends alternating with long mourning sounds. I think the song is good for both bending-practice and practise in getting that big bluesy tone.

: A short Realaudio taste is here: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/clipserve/B00000293E001004/104-0802058-6577518 but you should get the whole song if ya wanna jam to it.

Hey Erik...
Check out the hit version of "I'm a Man" by the Yardbirds. That's the first song that I worked on and played with a band (almost 30 years ago). It's not difficult, but IMHO still a classic.
Other songs that I learned when I started playing harmonica included "Love Me Do" and "I Should Have Known Better" by the Beatles. Both songs are easy to play.
Sad to say, many of the British Invasion bands of the 1960's abandoned the raw and exciting sound of the harmonica and traded it for psychedic sounds which ushered in the drugged summer of love and ended the innocence of an era.
Be serious, but at the same time, have fun!
Wishing you success in your endeavors.
Patrick

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[an error occurred while processing this directive]