Re: Sax player doubling on harmonica

[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Posted by Brett on January 04, 2002 at 13:43:26:

In Reply to: Re: Sax player doubling on harmonica posted by Ron on January 04, 2002 at 09:19:10:

Rhanks Ron. That helps me greatly.

: Hey Brett,

: I am and "intermediate" harp player and I think that you should go with your chords and positions option. I think that you will learn various patterns of blows and draws in the various holes (riffs if you will). The same riff patterns will be the same on every key of harp. This kinda makes it easier than learning the sax. On the other hand, you will now be dealing with a polyphonic instrument. You will be able to play chords, octaves, back rythms, and all sorts of other neat stuff not to mention some tremendous note bending - even more than you can do on a sax. This kinda makes it more complex than the sax. I took music theory in high school so I do know a little theory. However, I have no idea what what note I am playing at any time. I just know where I need to be and where I need to go on the harp. I think that is how most harp players work but I don't want to speak for them.

: I have been thinking about learning sax as well as the harp. Maybe someday.....

: : I am a sax player with a fair amount of music theory background who is learning to double on harp. This may sound a little strange, but I'm struggling with how to approach learning the new instrument. For example, should I be thinking in terms of chords and positions (I, IV, V, etc.) or should I be concentrating on learning the actual note names across the full range of the instrument?

: : My gut tells me that I should go with the first method since I'll be changing between several harps.

: : Any suggestions, or am I just thinking too hard?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

[an error occurred while processing this directive]