Re: Whistle or tongue method for playing single notes?

[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Posted by Ron on December 18, 2001 at 05:09:00:

In Reply to: Whistle or tongue method for playing single notes? posted by Jenny on December 18, 2001 at 01:19:22:

You must learn the tounge block method ONLY if you want to do some of the great stuff, such a playing back rythms, that tounge blocking allows. I think that the general agreement is that tounge blocking is more versitle than whistle method. However, I have found a few things that I can only do with whistle including blow bends. I learned to TB first and that is what I am best at. Now I am learning to play well with the whistle method. The bottom line? I think it is smart to learn both methods. If you want to learn to play chords first go right ahead. Once you have learned to play chords through four holes, try covering the lowest three holes with with your tonge and only play through the highest hole. Voila! Tounge blocking. Next try slapping your tounge on and off those bottom three holes as you move up and down the harp and you can get a cool back rythm going! Then try covering the middle two holes and BLOW through the two on the ends - OCTAVES. You must use 5 holes to get the draw ocataves - cover three and draw throught the two on the ends. WOW look at all this stuff. Take your time, have fun, and you will learn it all!!!

: Hi. I've been training myself to play. I can do single notes pretty well with the whistle method. It works for me, and I've memorized several songs. (But I haven't learned chords or bending yet.) I got a Mel Bay book recently that sez You Must Use The Tongue Method! I find it discouraging cuz I'd have to learn all over again to play single notes. That new method is a challenge. I guess I should start learning it eventually, but shouldn't I learn to play chords first?
: Thanks! Jenny

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[an error occurred while processing this directive]