Re: Hmm.. still can't get that hole2 draw working right....

[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Posted by Shaggy on November 15, 2001 at 16:51:58:

In Reply to: Hmm.. still can't get that hole2 draw working right.... posted by H_kaze on November 15, 2001 at 15:19:53:

: Hi guy! ^_^ I just started about 2 weeks ago. and I am half way through lesson 2. I been trying to get hole2 draw working because I heard it is quite hard and I want start early on that particular one. And by golly.. it is hard. At first I couldn't get any sound at all, now I am getting about 50% of the time once I discovered that if I open up my mouth cavity like a blowfish, I can get sound easier. ;)

: However, I heard that the blow3 and draw2 should be the same sound. Well, the sound I get is close enough.. but draw2 sounds really.. flat.. compare to the sound of blow3 which is fuller.. Am I doing something wrong? I also remember someone was asking that since draw 2 and blow3 is the same, why do we need both?

You seem to be bending the 2 draw note. Bending is a technique used to add a bluesy effect by achieving the blue notes which would otherwise be unavailable. You'll learn this technique in time. But in the mean time, you need to relax your mouth, relax your tongue and throat. They are what cause bending to occur.

Try a simple exercise. Try breathing through the harmonica, hole 2; just breathing in and out. Breathe deep, low down, drawing air into and expelling it from your diafragm. Just relax and breathe, in and out, in and out, in and out.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[an error occurred while processing this directive]