Re: Lessons

[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Posted by Patrick J. McKenna on September 05, 2001 at 18:56:35:

In Reply to: Lessons posted by David Coates on September 05, 2001 at 10:37:30:

: Does anyone know any harmonica teachers, even if it's just someone doing it as a sideline, based in or around Preston, Lancashire?
: I have just taken up the instrument, thanks to this site, and am looking for a bit of guidance to take the next few steps.
: Also, why is Bob Dylan not liked amongst pro harp players? I always get frosty glares from people when I mention his name in connection with harps.

: Many thanks!

: David Coates

Hey David,
In an interview, which was published by the Free Reed Journal, the late Larry Adler, who was a very prominent harmonicist, said that "I don't like blues harmonica at all; I think that they all sound alike except for Bob Dylan--who sounds worse!" Mr.Adler went on to say that "If I were dictator of the world my first act would be to forbid Bob Dylan from playing the mouth organ!" and described Mr.Dylan's playing as "bad!"
Some of the purists may agree with Mr.Adler.
Personally, I don't consider Bob Dylan to be the greatest harmonica player or vocalist, but he is a genius, who has left a very prominent impression on popular music.
Unless the pro harmonica players who give you frosty stares at the mention of Bob Dylan are half as successful as he is, I wouldn't worry about their opinions. I'm sure that Bob Dylan isn't losing sleep over their opinions.
Wishing you success in your endeavors,
Patrick

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[an error occurred while processing this directive]