Re: Any Transposing tips for converting songs to harmonica?

[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Posted by Patrick J. McKenna on August 25, 2001 at 19:06:37:

In Reply to: Any Transposing tips for converting songs to harmonica? posted by Lil' Caese on August 25, 2001 at 17:06:01:

: Any Transposing tips for converting songs to harmonica?

Hey Lil'Caese,
If you read standard music, you're already off for a great start. In fact, since you've logged in to this site, you are off for a great start, whether or not you read music! If you don't read music, I strongly recommend that you learn. It's not necessary to be able to read sheet music with the same ease that you read newspaper headlines, but if you do read music, you will have the advantage over those who play only by ear. I also strongly recommend that you learn the harmonica tab system (which is easy).
I feel that I've said this so many times that I've lost count.
Moving along, I don't know what your present level of proficiency is. If you are a beginner or if you don't have much experience playing with music, my suggestions are to play from printed music which you can understand. If the key is difficult or awkward, learn to transpose the music into a key which is easier to play. Mark the tab symbols beneath each note. Use the standard tab system.
A very important tip that the experts probably don't think of when dispensing advice...is to use pencil. You'll probably make a few mistakes and it's a lot easier to correct them if the marks aren't made permanent by ink.
Wishing you success in your endeavors,
Patrick

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[an error occurred while processing this directive]