Re: gospel

[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Posted by Patrick J. McKenna on August 08, 2001 at 20:02:17:

In Reply to: Re: gospel posted by Bill on August 08, 2001 at 08:58:44:

: : iam a beginner about a year and want to play gospel music with the blues feel from the soul. i have accomplished little tho i have the desire. practice is my desire but i need someone who plays soul for some input. answer my prayer thanks. p.s. i play diatonic mostly lee oskar.

: Greetings Frank,
: Practice is the main thing... Listening to great players helps too... for gospel, Sonny Terry & Brownie McGee comes to mind. Darryl Mansfield too (more of a rock/blues thing).. Just A Closer Walk With Thee (CD) done by Sonny Terry & Brownie McGee is one of my favorites! Real soulful gospel blues... gotta have the blues before your appreciate the Good News!

: Bill

Dear Brother Bill & Brother Frank,
As I've said before and I'll say it again, LEARN TO READ MUSIC. Learn both the standard notation and tab. Pick up a hymnal and you WILL find a gold mine of material. Not all the music will be ideally suited for diatonic harmonica, but there's no need to discard your diatonic harmonica and go exclusively chromatic. There is plenty of great music that you can play with a diatonic harmonica.
As for playing with a soulful sound, I suggest that you find music that can be played in "cross harp" style, so that you can play with a lot of draw notes. If you play in the key of G, using a C harmonica, you are playing cross harp. Some of the draw notes can be bent to good effect, as you will find out yourself. An example is "Amazing Grace," which can be played in C, starting with the G note:hole #6 (blow). To play it in G, start with the D note: hole #4 (draw). You can also play this in the key of F, by starting with C note: hole #4 (blow).
Check out the Message Board for some info on some great harmonica players that play gospel music.
If Terry McMillan hasn't already been mentioned, he should be! I saw him perform on the 700 Club (TV program) and he did an awesome version of "Amazing Grace." I didn't get his name right, but when I did, I ordered his CD "Somebody's Coming."
If you guys resided nearby the SE Georgia/NE Florida area, I'm sure that we definitely would have a lot ideas to share.
Wishing you success in your endeavors,

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

[an error occurred while processing this directive]