Re: Is the harmonica I have good for learning?

[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Posted by Patrick J. McKenna on July 10, 2001 at 18:19:57:

In Reply to: Is the harmonica I have good for learning? posted by headless parrot on July 09, 2001 at 09:39:35:

: Just pondering. I woke up the other day, and just suddenly had a hankering to learn something on the harmonica.
: I have a Hohner Bluesband harmonica. It was mentioned in any of the articles. Is this a good harmonica for a beginner like myself. It's about six months old and it's never been touched. Should I stay with this, or maybe put in an extra couple bucks to get something a bit better.

: Other than that, I think I'm doing quite well considering I just picked up the thing yesterday. I've already got 'Mary Had A Little Lamb' down pretty good, and I've now made it my goal to learn the harmonica parts in my favourite song of all time, 'The Wizard' by Black Sabbath (they were better when they were more blues oriented rock if you ask me).

The cheap harmonicas may have their limitations (i.e., shorter life than the Marine Band), but that doesn't mean that you san't get you moneys worth (many times over) out of it.
Back in 1998, I picked up a Hohner Great Little Harp. It now looks worn and the cardboard box, that it came in, has been taped over many many times. I have numerous other harmonicas, but my GLH still sounds pretty decent and will probably provide me with a lot more musical enjoyment.
As for Black Sabbath, their music is rubbish! If you want some real harmonica music, check out some recordings by Charlie Musselwhite, Charlie McCoy, John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers, John Popper, some of the Yardbirds' stuff and for some classical style (this is really different!), check out the CD "Gentle Harmonica" by Claude Garden.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

[an error occurred while processing this directive]