Re: Lee Oskar and the Hohner Meisterklasse

[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Posted by Danny P. on July 06, 2001 at 13:23:12:

In Reply to: Re: Lee Oskar and the Hohner Meisterklasse posted by Mike on July 06, 2001 at 11:20:24:

You must have a different Golden Melody than I.

My wholes are definitely smaller. The reason is that the plastic in between each hole is completely straight, where all my other harps are angled on each side resulting in a bigger opening.

As for the tuning, you should read the whole post before you remark on it.

I stated that it is tuned normally, as in all the right notes in the right order. But in western music we don't use the scales of old. We use a tempered scale.

Back in the day, if you played a song in A and then played the song in E, it would have a noticably different sound because the notes were not evenly tuned as they are now. That's why some chords sound funky when played. The overtones don't fit right.

I'm not sure why this was done, but this is how instruments are tuned nowadays. I was stating that I though I had read somewhere that the Golden Melody was tuned so that a chord will sound better and more "on" than a melody.

It's like a guitar. You can tune it to an open chord and then a barre chord won't sound as good. Or if you plan on playing mainly around the fifth fret, you can tune it to that area but then the open chords will be slightly off.

Something like that.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

[an error occurred while processing this directive]