Re: Is it me or is it my new Lee Oskar?

[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Posted by Patrick J. McKenna on July 04, 2001 at 20:49:33:

In Reply to: Re: Is it me or is it my new Lee Oskar? posted by Pete on July 03, 2001 at 17:30:44:

: I have never, ever had any luck with the LO harps. Every time I buy one, I have some problem with it. I received a phone call from Lee Oscar himself when I sent it back to be repaired. I explained that I appreciated his call but I'm just not happy with his product. I feel that the whole idea of being able to tweak the harps yourself with the special tools that have to be bought are just a cover-up for poor craftsmanship. I will never buy another one. Then again, this is just my opinion and they are like body parts--- everyone has a few.

Lee Oskar harmonicas have price tags which might as well say "Buy from our competition!"
I've heard one harp player play a Lee Oskar harmonica. It seems like a nice sounding instrument though, but I get some great results with the harmonicas which range from the cheap slave-made harmonicas that are available because the largest rogue nation in the world has strong-armed itself into enjoying "most favored nation" the Special 20.
The best harmonica player that I've had the pleasure and privelege of playing with (I played electric bass, harmonica and some guitar), plays the Hohner Marine Band Harmonicas in various keys.
Getting away from such subjects as Political Science 000 and Personal Musical Experience 101...
I advise any harmonica players to do the following, when purchasing a harmonica:
1. Talk to the salesman
2. Express a serious attitude
3. Try out the harmonica, once you've decided which one you want
4. If you can't try it out (a used harmonica can not be sold by a music shop), get an agreement that if defective, the shop will swap it for another or possibly give a cash refund
5. Keep the reciept
As for your old harmonicas, continue to handle it with care. Don't pry ot open unless necessary. Some companies, such as Hohner, will exchange a well used harmonica for a new one at a discounted price. Of course, you can't expect Hohner to exchange a warped, swollen and brittle harmonica comb, a couple of mismatched and rusted reeds, corroded cover plates and a few small tacks because the letter accompanying the above mentioned loose parts states that the pieces were once a beautiful shiny Blues Harp which is in its present condition because of factory defects.
Of course, it's wise to spaek with someone who knows about harmonicas.
Wishing you success in your endeavors.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

[an error occurred while processing this directive]