Re: Is a G harp ok for a novice?

[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Posted by Patrick J. McKenna on June 30, 2001 at 17:02:30:

In Reply to: Re: Is a G harp ok for a novice? posted by nattyboy on June 30, 2001 at 01:43:49:

: Hey there,
: Just want to share somethin with ya...I think I may have bought a G harp first too! Starting out sounded good on low harps, now I've heard more styles and players I come to realise that all harps are the right harps. I play alot C harp because its easy for me to bend the notes, I still learning and find alot of teachers begin teaching on the C harp [Jerry Portnoy is one exception, his blues materclass series is on A harp...and it all valuable too] So my friend, jam on G save up buy another harp, do the same and then buy another one and pretty soon you'll see that music doesn't only revolve around a G harp. Oh and by the way, if you can bend the notes well on a G harp then man you are on your way to mastering the other keys!! Keep on harpin'
: Nattyboy
: PS If the seller don't play harp then get a second opinion....from a harp player that is!!!

I recommend that you use a C harmonica while learning to play harmonica. Most of the harmonica
instruction methods use the C harmonica.
However...that's not the reason that I first learned on a C harmonica. There also seemed to be a lot more recordings that used a C harmonica. One song in particular that comes to mind is the Yardbirds big 1965 hit record "I'm a Man."
I recommend that you learn how to read standard music AND tab. As for that G harmonica, learn to play that one too! Find recordings that use a G harmonica (1st position key of G and 2nd position
key of D both use a G harmonica). Learn to play both the C harmonica (1st position key of C and 2nd postion key of G). And while you're at it, consider getting a A harmonica (1st position key of A and 2nd position key of E). According to a book by Charlie Musselwhite:
An "A" harp is one of the easiest harps to
start on, especially when it comes to
bending.
Come to think of it, I remember that I enjoyed playing an E harmonica when I starting out...but let's not get carried away!
Wishing you success in your endeavors.

patrick

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[an error occurred while processing this directive]