Re: Single note hole 2

[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Posted by Patrick J. McKenna on June 28, 2001 at 20:21:04:

In Reply to: Re: Single note hole 2 posted by Bill on June 28, 2001 at 11:38:22:

: : For about a week i'm learning the harmonica. Single notes go very well, but I just can't seem to get the draw on hole 2 right. That's the only note I'm having problems with, all the others go fine.
: : Is this a common problem for beginners? My harmonica is brand new, so that shouldn't be the problem. Anybody?

: Greetings Carrie:
: Fear not, this is par for the course. Some notes just don't happen as well as others. Try doing the 1, 2, 3 draw chord, then narrowing down to only draw 2. Usually it's a matter of breating technique. Be sure you breathing air in deep to you chest and not just doing an upper airway exchange: this is a common practice and causes many problems like, being out of breath, poor tone and reeds not sounding. Practice, practice, practice... Don't get too frustrated with hole 2 draw, move to other thing, experiment, try tunes, then come back to the problem areas.... You'll get it!

: Bill
: www.geocities.com/mottabona/Harmonica.html

Dear Carrie,
Surely you want instant results...Don't be disappointed if your attempts fall short of your expectations. All musical geniuses, meet with some personal frustrations. Those who are the musical losers are the ones that quit. Hang in there.
For starters, I suggest that you learn to tongue block. But first...learn to play that single note. Pick up a harmonica that is in the key of C.
Place your left thumb over hole#3 and place your right thumb over hole #5.
Gently blow into hole #4. You will hear a single C note.
Keep playing that single C note, until you you are very familiar with the sound of the single note C.
Now use the tip of your tongue to block holes #3 and #2 while gently playing that single C note.
Once you have mastered that C note, it's time to move along.
Try to play the scale.
You're probably now on your way to making music.
Tune into this web site, learn, play, exchange ideas, ask questions, have fun...and welcome to the club! Good luck.
Wishing you success in your endeavors.
Patrick

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[an error occurred while processing this directive]