Re: Beginners Question

[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Posted by Patrick J. McKenna on June 18, 2001 at 21:30:33:

In Reply to: Beginners Question posted by Spencer on June 14, 2001 at 19:43:06:

: When I play, I can usually get clean notes until I move between holes. I seem to position my mouth between holes (like on the seperator bar) so I get a sloppy sound due to 2 notes being played. How can I tell if I am straight ahead in the center of the hole so I get a good clean note consistently?

There's one solution which can be found in the Webster's Vest Pocket Dictionary. It's between "practical" and "practitioner," and it is
"practice."
Seriously, if you resist the urge to quit and practice, you should soon get the sound that you want (or at least achieve some encouraging progress).
Find some good harmonica instruction books. Learn to read music, play melodies in the first position, listen to various styles of players (i.e., recordings by the Yardbirds, some early Beatles, John Mayall, Charlie McCoy, Robert Bonfiglio, Charlie Musselwhite...), learn tab, develope the abilities of improvisation and ear playing as well as standard music notation. Pick up the tricks of other harmonica players. Study, practice, learn and have fun. By the way, if you have problems playing a single note, put your thumbs over hole#3 and #5. Then gently blow into hole #4. You should be playing a single note the way that it is supposed to sound. After doing this numerous times, use the tip of your tongue to cover hole #3. Blow through hole #4 and until you get that single note sound mastered. Now you are on your way.
Wishing you success in your endeavors.
Patrick

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[an error occurred while processing this directive]