Re: Hohner Blues Harp

[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Posted by Patrick J. McKenna on June 17, 2001 at 06:53:24:

In Reply to: Hohner Blues Harp posted by MikeDawg on June 06, 2001 at 07:10:40:

: Has anyone had any trouble with the Hohner Blues Harps? It appears to me that it takes alot of wind to produce any decent tone. I have three different keys and have had a heck of a time bending low notes (holes 2-4) or playing high notes (holes 8-10). I picked up a Hohner Hot Metal which costs 5 bucks with a plastic comb and found it alot easier to work with. I'd be interested to hear anyone elses take on the Hohner Blues Harp and any opinions on the Lee Oskars. Thanks

I think that the Blues Harp is overrated. The name has an appeal which helps Hohner to rake in a lot of cash.
The 1st Blues Harp that I acquired was a source of the same disappointment that I experienced with the Marine Band. I discovered that the root of my problem was that I did not know how to play!
I was totally ignorant on such matters as tone, use of hands, embouchure, tongue blocking, bends, two-tone shake, etcetra, etcetra, etcetra. I eventually learned how to play and consider myself a decent player.
As for the Hot Metal harmonica, I consider it to be a decent instrument and haven't found one that was defective.
Defective harmonicas can be a problem, regardless of whether it is a budget-priced harmonica such a the Great Little Harp by Hohner (I continue to get plenty of use out of mine) or the top of the line model. I strongly suggest that once you and the seller (i.e. the shop employee) agree on a harmonica, that you also agree to make the purchase, but only AFTER you try it out. Don't take the chance of buying a defective instrument. For this reason, I recommend that for such occasions as birthdays, that those who who buy gifts, be encouraged to give money for instruments rather than actual instruments.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[an error occurred while processing this directive]