thanks for the response webmaster! POD is a good addition

[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Posted by JImmy on April 09, 2001 at 15:35:41:

In Reply to: Re: try the "Pod" by Line 66-Ok, we added it to the STORE posted by Webmaster- Harmonica Lesssons.com on April 08, 2001 at 02:52:53:

Webmaster,

That is a good price for a POD. This thing has really changed my playing, and made me a lot more versatile for the band. I play fast and hard, and use the full range of the harp, with a lot of real specific high end licks and blow bends (no overblows yet, though!). The POD really helps bring out the character of the full range of notes on the harp, w/ big, piercing high end notes, and gritty, deep bass tones. I have programed a few sounds into the pod, like the '59 Bassman w/ delay and a little vibrato, and I get tons of juice out of that little amp. I recommend turning the treble all the way down, the mid-range to about 4, and crank up the bass. I keep my amp settings about the same. To avoid feedback at live shows I usually just plug the The POD directly into the PA, and get tube amp sounds through the speakers and moniters. It was an exciting discovery, and w/ a drive control, eq and reverb you can really get some funky sounds. I especially like the rotary effect. I have played through a real, modified Leslie Cabinet, and I loved it. Now you can get that same sound w/ other effects, or keep it pure if you want. I have always been fairly traditional in my playing, using standard bullet mics and vintage tube amps, but I have found that this thing is great when you are playing a full gig w/ a band, because you can pre-set your sounds, and change them on each song or as needed, without having to fiddle w/ the controls and deal w/ re-adjusting all of the levels and effects. And any cheap vocal mic will do! I believe that the rest of the rig is more important then the mic anyway, and I use almost exclusively cheap vocal mics. They are more durable reliable then green bullets or blues blasters, and they work fine for me (after all, "its not the violin, its the violinist", as they say!)

Recently I discovered it has a little preamp built in that will enable you to get more volume out of your amp. My little '62 Vibrochamp honks like never before, and it virtually becomes all of these different amps, and responds nicely to the effects I use, as long as the output and drive controls are set at reasonable levels.

I do not work for the company, but I should! This is even more exciting for me then getting my hands on some vintage Twin Reverb or Bassman amp, because it does that and much more. I have yet to hear opinions from other harp players, but with a little tinkering with it I believe it is a must for any live or studio harp player.

Get your hands on one, read a little about it (especially the intro) and tell me what you think. I will be interested to hear your feedback. Thanks for the response!

1 question: I just ordered a little hand held mic called a bottle cap mic (the company is like EPM, or something) off ebay, brand new, for $25. Have you ever seen or heard of one? The transister, apparantly, is right in the bottle cap, and you cup the thing in the palm of your hand. Any opinions?

: Jimmy-

: Since you're not the first person that has spoken highly of the POD in the last year we have added it to our new STORE. It is currently $349.99 at our affiliate Musician Friend. I'll take a trip to a local music store in the next few weeks and try it out myself.

: Thanks for the post,
: Webmaster

: : I am a profession harp player and have fiddled around with all sorts of gear in the past 10 years. I have never been a fan of pedals or effects units, but on a recommendation I went out and bought a "pod" by Line 66, and I love it. I paid $350 bucks for it on sale at the guitar center in Dallas. It digitally recreates the sounds of about 20 different vintage tube amps, such as the Fender Chanp and 1959 Bassman, and many others. It also is loaded with effects, such as tremolo, reverb, vibrato, delay, flanger and--this one is really cool-- an effect called "rotary" which recreates the sound of a Leslie cabinet used for the Hammond B-3 organ. After becoming frustrated with broken mics, mainly Green Bullets and Blues Blasters, I now play on a cheap, generic $30 vocal mic made by a company called Audix. Instead of lugging heavy tubes around, I just plug my mic directly into the Pod, and plug the pod directly into the PA, and you get real, gritty, fat tube amp tones and it comes out of the PA! It is the greatest tool to come along in a long time. Purists may disagree, but don't knock it till you try it, this thing kicks ass. And when you find the amp/effect combinations you like, you can record them and use them live at a show, or even change mid songs. You can also crank the gain and output levels up and I have yet to have any feedback problems, at least a lot fewer than when I mic my amp.

: : You can also use it as a medium between your amp and your mic, by keeping the amp clean (i.e., no gain, reverb, or othre effects) you basically get the effect of having dozens of tube amps in one. I use it with my 1962 Fender Vibrochamp, and, strangely, I can get a hell of a lot more volume out of the amp then when I plug the mic straight into the amp.
: : They're also very handy in the studio
: : I am anxious to get some feedback...anyone ever try one?

: : "Sweet Texas" Jimmy

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[an error occurred while processing this directive]